Sunday, February 3, 2008

Heavenly Beds

Find your perfect sleep number. Decide the right temperature. Have just enough covers - but not too many. Drug your children. (joke) Snuggle in and let your body do the rest. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Just thinking about that soft snuggly bed, the light airy comforter pulled all up around my face, the pillows positioned just so - one to lay on and one to snuggle in to... even thoughts of my daughter cozying up to my back telling me "I'll rub your back Mama" instantly transport me to a happier place.

Why tell you all this? Why do you care? Ironically, I woke up thinking about this amazing experience and how the heck it all connects to my SLife. After all, I try to obey a decent SL bedtime (except the non-school nights - Hooo!). Saying good night to each other on SL seems to be important. People are always ready to offer an enthusiastic g'nite, sleep well, or sweet dreams as you leave a club or venue - even people you don't know. I like that. I love sleep. I can appreciate the fact they are wishing me well - even if superficially - LOL. Then, there is the act of going home from the club or venue. New avitars, mind you, don't really have this option unless they move into a furniture store. It is funny to think about - I take my little Kimala self home and then log off. In the beginning, I even went home and went to the bed I had purchased for myself. I was so excited to have found one I loved.

Beds are a particular craft on SL. I had a freebie bed at first. The mattress was so hard all you could do was sit properly on the edge. I was too new to realize that it was worth the lindens to buy a good bed. Then... I found Pillow Talk. Oh man. The BEST SIM EVER! Everything there was about sleep and snuggling. The store was on a cloud and made up primarily of PILLOWS... pillows for one... pillows for two... pillows for snuggling... pillows for massages... pillows for... em em. I was in heaven. Heck, the sim store even looked heavenly. The sim creator Sandy Clymer MUST have been friends with Westin and the Heavenly Bed RL people. She MUST have connections. I was enthralled with my find... a Heavenly SL Bed. The sheets were the perfect texture, the mattress was the perfect firmness, and, better yet, there were spots for 2.. to snuggle. What about it WASN'T heavenly? Needless to say, it was a purchase I made without thinking twice.

As my time on SL has evolved, I found I wanted to be more creative with my island space and did away with my bed altogether. Most of the time I log off quickly to return to RL and try to make good use of my RL bedtime. I have plenty of perfect snuggle spots but the SLeeping ritual has lost its lustre. I no longer feel the need to tuck my avitar in to that warm Pillow Talk bed (shhh don't tell Sandy) and I rarely even put on my SL pajamas any more unless it is for an event. (Please note though - good nights are still very much appreciated and enjoyed!)

So... I woke up this morning in my RL sleep number bed... (i'm a 35 btw) snuggled under the flannel sheets (I know - how lame is that - we live in Phoenix!!) and the comforter, next to the pillow, and thought ... "WOW! I LOVE SLEEP! I love my bed. I need to remember that!" LOL Now why in the world would I need to mentally note I need to remember that? Well.. because that little nagging thought of SL pulls me away from sleep sometimes. Keeps me up. Draws me in. Wakes me up at random hours to try to lure me away from this amazingly warm comforting RL spot. I thought about people who don't need as much sleep - my husband being one of them. Ok you secret middle of the night SLers... you know who you are. It pulls you away from sleep - a good RL sleep, now doesn't it!

My thoughts jumped mentally around remembering research on sleep - loss of memory from lack of sleep, drugs to help you sleep, sleep walking, and my personal favorite - sleeping in your own bed (yes, small friends in my home - that one has your name ALL over it!). We should honor sleep. My dad taught me the best way to solve problems - really tough ones - is to ask yourself to figure them out - just before you fall asleep. It works, btw. But I digress.

I'm glad some on SL have decided to honor this very important part of being human. Sure it helps they come with sexy poses and menus (em em). But ultimately, all of us, at one time or another, in our SLives need to power down and wish everyone else good night.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Middle of the night SLers? No way am I gonna let that one slide girl. You found me out and all the tech innovations I have pioneered. I hate when a secret is leaked. I do have a computer by the laundry room, one in the cabinet above the ironing board, one hidden (waterproof of course)in the dishwasher down stairs. Did I mention the one I have stashed in the backyard by the recycling and trash? You found that one too didn't you? Damn, I am soo embarrassed by this disclosure..... Please forgive me sniff sniff...

Kimala said...

Ok D... I was trying to protect you - didn't want blog readers to know you really get up and do housework in the night LOL But... you let the cat out of the bag. Thank goodness one of us doesn't need as much sleep :) or our house would be a pig pen! /me kisses your non-sleeping face and whispers "thank you."

bigd Flanagan said...

I watch your sleeping face and ponder the array of pillows nearby. Note to self: increase Kimala's life insurance policy. Insert evil laugh here. There is nothing wrong with kids growing up on the beach in Mexico!! /hoo

Me said...

ROFL!!

As someone recently put on a bedtime (by both my RL and SL guys..what the heck?!)..I've gotta say..sleep is pretty good. Not something I was skipping on purpose..but not something I was really missing either.

But heck if it isn't hard to get out of bed when it's super cold outside and you're snuggled under the warmest guy ever.

:) Maybe good sleep just needs the right motivation.

Kimala said...

I have had 2 SL friends now comment spontaneously to me about how much I must love sleep to take the time to blog so extensively about it. I have to say - having been sleep deprived for YEARS - not only has it made me nuts, it has also led me to love it and yearn for it - much like an unrequited love. So... if we truly do seek out in SL what we don't get in RL... I definitely seek a good night's sleep. Wow - do I ever love Pillow Talk! Hoo!