Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Which is it?

Is the glass half empty or half full? is a common expression, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for optimism (half full) or pessimism (half empty); or as a general litmus test to simply determine if an individual is an optimist or a pessimist. The purpose of the question is to demonstrate that the situation may be seen in different ways depending on one's point of view and that there may be opportunity in the situation as well as trouble.

Thank you Wikipedia :)

4 comments:

Bradley said...

Recent tests have discovered what looks like a gene for those who are worriers (glass half empty folks). Apparently people are able to train their thinking, but before then it's inherent.

I'll go easier on those poor folks now. Or am I one? hmmmm

:-)

bigd Flanagan said...

In engineering lore, the corollary to this rhetoric question is that, for an Engineer, the glass is neither half empty nor half full, it is just exactly twice as big as necessary.

Thank you Wikipedia:)!! I kind of like the engineering spin on it actually. I may have discovered a new mantra....

Kimala said...

wow - you two and your deep thinking frighten me :) I never realized what this simple entry would provoke. hmmmmmm :) do i have that gene? or is it something I simply need to re-engineer in my thinking?

Parker said...

I really like BigD's response to this age old question.

I actually came up with the cynics answer ~~ the glass ain't mine, I don't care.