Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blissie, America, Parenting and Apple Pie? Wait...

I know Blissie might be embarrassed - but I have to just post a short note to tell you to please pause from your day today sometime and read her blog post from yesterday, Tuesday, June 24. As we approach the 4th of July, and think about being an American, and think about our freedom, I hope you will really let her story sink in.

Blissie and I reversing roles at a SL club last Fall



I am finishing up my last day of work before 1 1/2 weeks off so I have neglected my blog. For some reason - knowing I am away from work makes me feel as if I must do everything on my to do list from now until the end of August or later, all before I shut off the lights in my office this afternoon. And, unlike so many of my colleagues - for me - going on vacation will just mean I'm at home. I should take the word "just" out of there. I am not "just" home. I am home. With my kids. Being a full time mom and wife. Cleaning the places in our home that have been neglected since my last "vacation" and just enjoying time.

I refereed a water fight via my cell phone this morning on my way into the office. I was literally about 5 minutes away from work, out of my usual 40+ minute commute when my oldest called to tell my youngest had the squirt bottle and had started spraying everyone. It sounded totally chaotic and as fun as it probably was - when I know all 4 are that wound up I know tears can't be far behind. Isn't that Murphy's law of being a kid with siblings? Anyway - I did the patented mom angry voice and gave it my best shot "You guys need to put that water away and find something quiet to do! This is my LAST day before vacation with you all. I am ALMOST to work! Don't make me turn the car around and come all the way home to end this situation! It won't be good if I have to!"

The quiet voice of my oldest quickly said, "No no mom - we have it handled. Don't turn around" I smiled to myself in my commute knowing hopefully my motherly instincts had been successful.

Just now as I am writing this - they called again. My oldest said, "Mom, I sent you a text message did you get it?" and then "I'm sorry Mom - we didn't mean to get out of hand. We'll be good, I promise." It made me smile from head to toe, and warmed my heart.

Parenting is such hard work. You never know if you are really doing it right or not. You never know if you have said and done the right thing. Some of it is intuition, some of it is those crazy parenting books or the way you were parented, and a heck of a lot of it is faith. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. This morning was a gift - a little gift to just remind me I'm doing ok, as a mom, as a parent. I think that will enjoy my time with my kids even more now :) Water fights and all! Hoo! Oh... and the Apple Pie part from the title? I'm not partial to apple pie anyway - let's go for chocolate merange or berry or something like that :)

5 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Where do those kids think of those things? Couldn't have been my genetic heritage in the least. There are full of surprises aren't they.

As I stopped at the store on the way home, milk and tp if you are interested, I checked in. Me: Did you do the things that were on the list? Unnamed child: List? There was a list? Mom left no list... Me: Well thats too bad, if you guys did what you were supposed to, I was going to bring lunch home. Unnamed child: Hey wait, Hey Dad, there was no list! Me: sorry dude can't help you...

I go into Safeway for a quick trip. Get back to car. Had ringer off on my phone, noticed 6 calls while I was in the store...

I brought McDonalds home....I'm such a softie....LOL

Me said...

ROFL !

Now really, Kim. WOULD you have turned around?

Imagine when they ALL get wise to the empty parental threats.

Then..you and BigD will be in trouble.

Four kids wise to you..well..that's just a recipe for trouble.

And BigD.. :) can you bring me lunch too? Fries with bbq sauce and a milkshake - vanilla.

Thanks!

Kimala said...

Ok Blissie - once they are wise to our tricks - we are going to send them off to NYC. That will toughen them up and prepare them for the real world, don't you think? :) Can they stay with you? heehee

Parker said...

I still think they are just a bunch of angels.

They have truly unique parents and that will benefit them so much when they are teens (my favorite age in children).

You six are very blessed indeed.

Kimala said...

Thank you Parker :)