Friday, July 18, 2008

The Secret of Life

So... cleaning up the clutter never gets dull. Hard to anticipate what kind of gem you'll find sifting through papers, preschool art, old math homework, and bills. Would you ever imagine I find the meaning of life? NO WONDER I have been so full of question, constantly unsatisfied and stressed!

According to the British Medical Journal, the citizens of Denmark are happier than their European counterparts, even though they rate high for the kind of factors typically affiliated with a LOW happiness rank, like bad weather, bad food, and high alcohol consumption. What's their secret? Low expectations.


So... I'm going to chew on that for a while. I have a workshop this afternoon. I work from home this morning. I'm getting my kids ready to head out of town early with my dad. I have to clean the house. Maybe I just need to shrug it off and just show up? I am not sure I know how to interpret this. I am not sure I am even wired genetically to have low expectations - but dammit - if THAT is the secret to happiness I am all for it!

One other random thought... do you think players on World of Warcraft worry as much as SL Residents about leaving the game forever? Just an early morning thing to ponder while you plan your day with low expectations. WAIT... cancel cancel... you don't plan your day if you have low expectations... DO you? I'm new to this... I need some help! LOL!

Happy Friday everyone!

7 comments:

Parker said...

if you don't expect too much then when things come out better then expected, you can't help but be happy. I do attempt that with somethings, just not relationships.
Some so my expectations are too high, but my grandmother told me never to compromise in that area of my life. I deserve the best and I better not settle for less then the best for me.

You have a wonderful husband, 4 angelic children a rewarding job and all of Second Life. Be happy and have a grand time this weekend.

"World of Warcraft" - I am not familiar with this, but given the name it doesn't sound like something I would be into anyway. I will stay right where I am, thank you very much.

Bradley said...

Low expectations is the way I try to live my life and it does work when I'm successful. It leaves you to allow the powers of the Universe, God if you will, to take care of matters while you take care of your own.

For those that don't know, this is an AA thing. It's called the serenity prayer.

Kimala said...

Awww :) ty to both of you. I totally support your grandmother's theory Parker - so hang in there. And, Bradley - I agree - I spend most of my time "turning things over" - how else does anyone ever get through the day?

Happy Friday both of you!

Yordie Sands said...

First, Parker, yeah, me too. My standards are too high I think. Like I expect men to "man up" and behave like men... geesh, there I go... Never mind ;)

And yeah, Kim, these guys who do World of Warcraft, I know these guys! I used to manage/herd thirty of them (about 80% guys), when I was in software development.

We had massive bandwidth at our shop and the guys would hang out after work to kill, kill, kill. When a guy got his feelings hurt and left the game, the other guys make puppy whimpering sounds and even hang a puppy sweater on the guy's door. Seriously! They even started hanging a dress on the door but the HR staff intervened.

Yeah, I think relationships are substantially different there.

And, no more expecations for me!

Joonie said...

This is so difficult! I know intellectually and spiritually to let go, turn it over, no expectations...etc. But my EGO thinks otherwise! LOL!

I do manage to turn it over all day long....and to take it back, as well. It's like a tug of war with a piece of taffy. Here God...no, give it back...not wait, i messed it up, so you can have it...oh, I thought of a new angle, give it back!

I usually do that until I'm beaten to a pulp and have no choice. Sad that I'm that stubborn.

My life, both of them, go so much smoother when I'm not in charge.

As far as relationships go, I'm with Parker and her grandmother. I've got the goods, I'm the whole package. You want this? You better be on your toes! hahaha! ;-)

P.S. If I don't believe it, how can I expect anyone else to?

Kimala said...

I appreciate all your thoughts. I had a good laugh over Yordie's story of these big bad men wimpering as they leave World of Warcraft ;)

And Joonie and Parker - you do have the goods - hold out! Woot!

bigd Flanagan said...

My secret to a happy life? Thats a tough one. I think it may be low expectations for myself and insanely high expectations for others. Yep, that works for me..... LOL