Sunday, August 10, 2008

Not a bad plan for my week...

You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face, and show the world all the love in your heart. Then people gonna treat you better; You're gonna find, yes, you will, that you're beautiful as you feel.
-- Carole King


I was worried on Friday when I looked at my schedule for next week (now TOMORROW) that I better just sleep at work. My colleague even offered to put cots in one of our downstairs training rooms for purposes of napping and then getting back up and starting to work again... kinda like what they do in hospitals for doctors.

THEN I thought a little further about my fab four and their 2nd week of school, and all that entailed... and um... honestly... I had a moment of panic! I have enjoyed my time off this summer with my kids more than other summers I think. Or... it is just that all that seems so long ago that I enjoyed it just as much, I just can't remember?

I love the look on their faces when they ask if I will be here when they get home from school and I can say yes. I love the look on their faces when they ask if it is a "stay home day" aka the weekend... and the answer is yes. Sunday mornings are my favorite too. Nobody cares about staying in pajamas. Nobody feels the need to eat breakfast quick and run out the door. The first trip of the morning ends up being one to get donuts :)

If I think about the whole week all together - every piece - work, kids, money, commute, bills... you will hear a scream to encompass the globe. So... I try to follow Carole King's advice... keep a smile on my face... and just focus on the next thing at hand. For now, that next thing is just enjoying the moment that is Sunday morning. We have a Bedrock party tonight on SL. Blissie promises to be home today for a Sunday field trip. I have helped D figure out facebook. We have tried to curb Simon's endless 5 year old requests with sugar and tickles. Rachel is off playing the newest online fascination Barbie.com. Life is good... despite the fact it is August and over 105... life is good :)

One other note... saddened by Bernie Mac's untimely death... I thought this was a clip worth sharing. He had the right idea too - do what makes you happy... and most importantly choose to be happy!


and... if choosing to be happy isn't enough... choose to be tough and take a page out of Bernie's book... from the Bernie Mac Show:

2 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

John Lennon said,"Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void." I'm going with that strategy....

Kimala said...

oh man D... you are right. beautiful wisdom from Mr. Lennon ;)