Friday, January 18, 2008

Discovering a Sense of ReSiLiency

Many have joked about my spelling - and believe me - I have to laugh at it myself! I am always in such a hurry to get my thoughts down - the words pour out of my fingers as they fly across the keyboard and I am left with a hiddddeous mess to decypher. The title of this blog, however, is purposeful.

SL offers me the perfect chance to explore resiliency. SL is the perfect opportunity to see how the human spirit can be resilient. SL is the perfect place to explore who we are, what we might be, what we could imagine, and how we can reinvent ourselves. SL is also the perfect place to reevaluate what is important to us, gravitate toward people we most likely will never ever meet in RL but for some reason SL allowed our paths to cross, and SL reminds us how human we all are.

According to Dictionary.com (Unabridged v 1.1), here is how the root word is defined (and LOL spelled correctly):
re·sil·ience /rɪˈzɪlyəns, -ˈzɪliəns/ –noun
1. the power or ability to return to the original form, position, etc., after being bent, compressed, or stretched; elasticity.
2. ability to recover readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyancy.
Also, re·sil·ien·cy.
[Origin: 1620–30; Latin resili(éns), prp. of resilīre to spring back, rebound (see resilient) + -ence]

3 comments:

Crighton Johin said...

I love it!! I have to admit, first thing I saw the link and thought...."oh Christ...she misspelled the URL of her blog...."

Oh, me of little faith...lol.

:-D

bigd Flanagan said...

Yeah, you have to able to bounce back or you are like an egg hitting the concrete sidewalk ouch!!

For me SL has been a mixed bag. Used to be insanely fun but evetually the laughs became fewer and it brought me to face with some ugly shit about myself. That in and of itself is not a bad thing in the least. Shows me the things I need to tend to and a new path to take. I just think I'm a more of a three dimensional guy.

Jenda Starbrook said...

Well said D! And C.. have a little faith!