Sunday, February 24, 2008

In Defense of Rose-Colored Glasses

I have often been accused of being too positive, too cheery, and too pollyanna-ish. Not surprisingly, I do a hair flip and skip away when facing such criticism (insert laugh here). Seriously, I do an internal check and try to figure out what makes me decide to be happy when the reaction should be anything but.

In RL, I have one of those faces that smiles automatically. I smile when I'm sad and crying even. I even find myself laughing when I cry sometimes - yes, for those of you wondering, you can now OFFICIALLY declare me NUTS. However, since I have had children, though, I have come to realize this is a genetic trait - smiling and being nuts. My oldest son is often in trouble for smiling when he is getting redirected for torturing his younger siblings.

I did a search for cranky, bad mood, negative thinking, and anything else I could think of on Google. I read a few blogs. I tried to get in the skin of someone who chooses this outlook or at least can communicate it well on the web. I dispute my husband's bad moods enough that I simply cannot go there to get into character :) but I have to say I think we make a good yin-yang and he tempers my pollyanna-ish views.

What I found was a whole host of individuals and organizations trying to move out and away from negative thinking. People don't write about staying in bad moods, they publish how to overcome them. I suppose this speaks to the huge industry that is self-help and wellness. It is the ultimate in-search-of-a-happy-ending Hollywood factor that childrens books and movies end with.

Happines is associated most heavily with the left (i.e. logical) side of the brain, while anger is associated with the right (emotional, non-logical) side of the brain. From a Society for Neuroscience article on Bliss and the Brain:

"Furthermore, studies suggest that certain people's ability to see life through rose-colored glasses links to a heightened left-sided brain function. A scrutiny of brain activity indicates that individuals with natural positive dispositions have trumped up activity in the left prefrontal cortex compared with their more negative counterparts. "

In other words, happy people are better able to think logically.
-Creating Passionate Users blog, 4/17/2006


I would like to challenge you, if you are taking the time to read this, to consider the above passage I found in another's blog (Creating Passionate Users), and take the additional effort to follow the link and read up. Being happy makes you HEALTHY. Heck, with my whole family - all 6 of us - battling asthma, the flu, pink eye, you name it I think we are due for a little happiness or maybe a BIG happiness. For those of us in SL who choose to enjoy our pixelated freedoms, why not choose happiness there as well? SL is built around the text communication that takes place between individuals and groups. We talk talk talk talk talk. But when, does one, as a person and as an avitar decide to walk the talk? Easy to say, much, much, much harder to do.

Is a happy ending possible? Can someone REALLY wear rose-colored glasses and survive in the big bad RL and SL worlds? I say yes. If you took the time to read the link I included - I hope you read far enough down the screen to realize that happy people feel bad too, happy people experience sadness and unfortunate experiences, but happy people choose to look at those experiences and process those feelings in a different way.

Ironically, I'm coming full circle here. I ask you to look at the name of my blog (not the typo name, smartass) and think about what it means to be resilient. I have to say... another way to be pollyanna-ish... is to be resilient. It is super hard. It makes you crazy. It is not the way the rest of the world would like you to think. But hey, I never was much for trying to do what the rest of the world wanted me to do anyway.

5 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Hmmmm. Okay, I can take a body shot. LOL. Me: OMG, look that car is on fire! Thats horrible! K: It's a cold night, maybe some homeless person can warm themselves before the Fire Department arrives.

An entirley fabricated conversation btw. It is a tremendous asset that you do have the mindset you do. I'm grateful for it and rely on it. If you didn't have it you couldn't weather the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. I've waited 20years to weave that into a conversation!! /hoo

bigd Flanagan said...

I forgot to mention! And this is a humanitarian gesture, if she does go darkside on your ass you better hope you are orbiting elsewhere. The biggest difference between SL and RL? You don't get the laser like series of questions that with each word you utter you become more doomed and the look that makes you wonder if you will wake up the following morning. Nature loves balance, don't fool yourself, the darkside breathes in slow measured breaths waiting for its call to action. The reservoir of kindness is a reservoir not a universe!! LOL

Kimala said...

/me pushes Bigd back to his own blog for such mentions. Go Go Go... Cancel Cancel negative nabob. :)

Crighton Johin said...

Bah humbug!!

:-)

Okay okay....Cancel Cancel

sheesh

*looks at half full glass...overflowing*

;-)

Kimala said...

I knew you would come around eventually Crighton :) even if I had to dump the glass over your head and refill it up. Hoo!