Saturday, February 23, 2008

Neighbors

This post idea found me the other day. I held off on blogging for a long time because I was never sure I'd have anything to say. Now that I have joined the blogosphere, I realize there are so many post opportunities I have to harness them because there are not enough hours in the day to post what has come across my path. Ultimately though, I tend to roll posts around in my head for hours or sometimes days before I know it will come out right. Sometimes you just know when the time is right.

As you know, I have a long daily work commute. I fill my commute with music, and enjoy the DJs banter. One day in particular, the RL DJs were discussing how people treat each other and what we are teaching our children. They came to the conclusion that if Mister Rogers was still around - departing his love and kindness over the airwaves - that perhaps our future world would have a better chance. The RL DJ talked about how she had called the PBS station and asked specifically about why the show was no longer on. The station representative explained that the show had not been on for several years because Mister Rogers had officially retired prior to his death. This then led to a discussion on people dying shortly after they retire from a career they are passionate about... but I digress that is another blog post altogether :)

Anyway, I took some time once I got to work to pull up the YouTube clip they had played the audio from on the air. They had suggested that listeners watch it periodically throughout the workday when they are having a tough time with their bosses or colleagues. Not bad advice LOL! I watched it. I thought about the things my kids like to watch. I thought about the things PBS airs now. I thought about the timeless themes about life and friendship and caring that Mister Rogers brought to the world so plainly in his cardigan sweater and tennis shoes. The messages are still there in other things we watch and fill our heads with. We just have to dig deeper for them.

Spongebob still teaches friendship and tolerance with his undying love for Patrick Star, his best friend, and his continued attempts to love his neighbor, Squigward. Elmo teaches us to laugh and ask questions when we don't understand. Even Ben10 teaches us to find the right tool to do the job when conquering evil and be persistant in the persuit of doing the right thing on behalf of our friends.

All these messages impact us. However, it is how we internalize the messages and act on others behalf that speaks to the type of people we are. Those are basic principles no matter if you are in RL or SL. I know the median age range in SL is 25-45. With that in mind, I would bet that most know who Mister Rogers is. Mister Rogers wasn't just an American PBS phenominon. The principles that he taught most certainly are not just American. Either way... I hope you take the time to watch this clip. Laugh at his goofy style. Shake your head at his simpleness and naivity. But... for just a minute... open your ears and listen... and take another moment to reflect. See if any of what has to say rings true.

I have to catch myself every day and redirect my thoughts and redirect my actions, if need be. I try my best to be a good friend and to work toward making life a little better for those around me. I am so thankful for those who do the same in my life as well.

Thank you Mister Rogers :) /me digs in my 12,000+ crazed inventory to find my rose colored glasses and slips them on. The world looks much better with them on. /me hands them out so others can enjoy the view with me.

3 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

What a kind,decent man. Really reminds of your Dad in a very real and positive way:). Timeless in his compassion and caring for others. This world is a little poorer with his passing, the next one is immeasurably enhanced with his presence.

Glad this world still has your dad and many other kind and decent men inhabitating it and enriching our lives.

Kimala said...

Wow D - I laugh and cry with your reflection :) My dad is lucky to have you as a son-in-law (at least I think so if you mean that as a compliment - LOL!).

You have a little Rogers in you too pal - I just hope you share it more often. The kids you teach see it - and I know our own kids see it. I'm just THANKFUL you do not insist on talking with that same inflection and wear cardigans :)

91225

bigd Flanagan said...

I'll pass on the inflection and the cardigan's. Don't think I could pull that look off. I'll ask myself in the future, WWMRD? When I'm sucked into places that benefit not a soul I will pose that question to myself. It couldn't hurt, could it? I've been sorely needing a new mantra actually...
WWMRD
WWMRD .....