Thursday, April 10, 2008

Earning My Stripes

aka... diary of the banal details of our RL week
(with a hint of sarcasm)


So this week... I jinxed us. Our lazy Sunday was simply a calm before the storm. I knew it would be a horribly busy RL week. Kids had statewide standardized testing -oh the joys; D has his usual round of parenting battles with students he case manages, and I had 2 grants due before I went out of town for work. Even under the best set of circumstances, it was going to be a challenge.

Sunday afternoon our youngest began complaining of stomach pains. It went downhill quickly from there. By Monday in the wee hours we had our youngest two throwing up and our middle one complaining of similar stomach cramps.

Busy week? Busy in new ways. Gotta love how life hands it to you sometimes.


three toilents - no waiting - sums it up simply


So... from what started as hour by hour survival has gotten me to Thursday afternoon. I'm mentally preparing to hike the mountain of clean laundry that D has so diligently kept up with. My hands are raw from antibacterial soap washings (yeah I know - that's a whole 'nother debate). And, the clutter lays as best it can with us in survival mode.

SL offered a welcome diversion for adult conversation, shopping, dancing, rezzing caves, and even sailing this week. "My tummy hurts" wails can still be tended to with back rubs and tummy rubs. AFK means I am most likely accompanying someone to the bathroom or attempting to get gatorade or chicken noodle soup into someone's tummy.

As for the RL work? Well some of it is still there :) Most of it got done in the nick of time before deadlines with the collaboration and amazing teamwork I share with my colleagues. Gotta love Instant Message and email. Where in the world would we be without it? Phone was kept to a minimum because of wailing. I tell you - nothing like I have ever experienced as a parent dealing with viruses and kids - with this wailing aspect. And yes, 5 hours before take-off the business trip was cancelled.

So I think both D and I have earned new stripes for our roles as parents this week. Not sure whether they are colored chartreuse or puke yellow ;) Either way - they were hard earned. D figured puking in front of the class could provide a healthy new form of classroom management. You know, high school kids are a tough crowd - it is best to keep them guessing, and revolted, if necessary. :)

Ok... off to conquer the mountain. Clean laundry awaits. Yes kids, you do have underwear it just hasn't been put away. Yes, D you can wear matching socks tomorrow, not tube socks to work LOL. Yes, oldest, your sheets are back on your bed and no that wasn't water on your comforter... puke has an unmistakable smell that permeates the nose. (sorry TMI I know - but didn't you need a little more imagery with this post?)


As a reward for sticking with me through this painfully banal post... here's a little more to waste your time and make you smile. Let me know what kind of parent you are.. or might be :) And... OK, I admit it, I am relieved my results ended up being what they were. My state of mind at this point in the day, at this point in the week, might say otherwise.



You Will Be a Cool Parent



You seem to naturally know a lot about parenting, and you know what kids need.

You can tell when it's time to let kids off the hook, and when it's time to lay down the law.

While your parenting is modern and hip, it's not over the top.

You know that there's nothing cool about a parent who acts like a teenager... or a drill sergeant!

4 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

You Would Be A Cool Parent

Why yes I would.... thats the results I get anyway. working around teens helps you to stay in touch. Love the kids actually, the parents need severe sundry interventions.
I got a lot of mileage out of that hurling episode:) Love to see their collective anxiety rise as I walk over by the trash can and slowly put a small piece of trash in the receptacle. I just look at them and go "What?, its all cool".... Hee Hee Gotta love what you're doing:)

Joonie said...

same as you guys! who knew? LOL!

Me said...

Whew..

I'll be a cool parent.

I'll just FedEx the kids that puke to Kim. She can send them back when they're better. :)

Kimala said...

Hey babe - I am so ready! I have jello, chicken noodle soup, toast, crackers, gatorade... and cleaning products... don't let me forget the cleaning products!

:) I had no doubt that any of you would be cool. Were you worried? Would I spend time with anyone else? heehee