Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A HA! For... the... BIRDS!

4:15... hello. 4:15 AM. I barely opened one eye. I saw the light coming in through the glass block wall of our bathroom... not sunrise... just that first light that is grayish. And... I laid there listening to that bird. Some bird that has decided he MUST perform outside our window every day. Either that, or he is singing with a microphone a few doors down. I tried to not click my brain on and close my eyes and go back to sleep. I was somewhat successful but that bird. Over and over again in my head. Nuts you say? She is NUTS!

By 5:55 am I found myself back into a snuggly sleep when I awoke to a distinct doorbell. Ok... that made me certifiable. I'm officially now NUTS. Who the heck would be ringing our doorbell at 5:55 am.

Either way... it sent me on a mission to tiptoe down the stairs and begin my quest for the bird haunting my early mornings. Dave came down about 20 minutes later and said he awoke to bird sounds he had never heard before... LOL !!! My sound wasn't up THAT loud on my laptop. I take comfort in the fact we must BOTH be nuts. Misery loves company.

I found a site where some man has chronicled all sorts of bird sounds in Northern Arizona where we used to live. Go figure. Why would he do this? It isn't exactly a garden spot where he was - but heck, it sure beats 110 degrees (yes Blissie - I bet there are still spiders there though - icky ones - if there are that many birds there). You KNOW you can't resist seeing this guy's site, North American Bird Sounds . It actually would be cool to use if you were teaching kids and in the middle of a bird unit. (Sorry teacher in me).

So Dave thinks I'm joining the Audubon Society. Please note I am not. Yes, I am officially obsessive compulsive easily demonstrated by this post.
In general, only the male songbird sings and is he communicating one of two messages - 'go away!' or 'come here!'.

~ Bird Squawk!


Come to think of it - those are the SAME two messages human males give out - in RL and SL... HOOOO! Why is it that the female gets so shortchanged - no matter what the living form? How come we don't get a chance to sing and say 'go away' or 'come here'?? All I know is I get dirty looks when I try that :) Must be universal for living things... girls are expected to be quiet, pretty, and patient... waiting for that male song.

Ok. Enough. This entry is going to become cliche if I don't end it here. I'd hate for people to think it was "for the birds" or any other cliche that could be thrown in. I'll wait until tomorrow morning and pray that bird sings when I am ACTUALLY supposed to get up and go back to work.

Let me leave you with a little Paul McCartney if you were brave enough to muddle through these mutterings with me... Thank you Paul :) I would MUCH rather wake up to you singing that at 4:15!



A YouTube experiment :) Because there are way too many Beatles tunes to enjoy first thing in the morning... a KimalaKohime YouTube Beatles playlist. Hoo! (plus it kinda takes my mind off the haunting bird songs of earlier hours.

And... I can't end without the amazing Wikipedia. Leave it to Wikipedia to show us how to appropriately use soundclips from the Beatles. Hoo!

7 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Hmmmm Birds and Paul. I can work with this. Whatever bird that is, their timing may be off but it is a beautiful sound. Keep up your quest oh driven one. You shall be successful with time.

Some Paul is always good. I would enjoy at the conclusion of "Blackbird" seeing him break, here it is, the guitar over the head of that horrid skank he married not too long ago. Talk about your wretched "birds".

At least when you get up this early you can always opt out for a nap. Care to join me;? /hoo

Kimala said...

mmmmm nap :) is there any other way to spend the last day off? hoo!

Bradley said...

Awww, we are so different from each other. At 5am each morning when the birds start singing I'll just lay there and smile. Of course it helps that I'm on meds.

Parker said...

BigD you played that one nicely. The male gets to say "come here". ;-)

As a single gal it is so true that you must sit and wait for the male to say "go away" or "come here". Even in these modern times when folks think the opposite is true.

I used to have a woodpecker that kept mistaking the gutters on the apartment building for a tree with food. OY VEY!!!! Now that was bad in the wee hours. I too would rather hear Paul.

Kimala said...

Hey! We used to have a woodpecker when I was a teenager banging away on the side of the house too! Man... nothing worse than having to wake up before 11 am when you're a teenager. Geesh!

Kimala said...

Bradley :)
I have plenty to smile about so I shouldn't lie and say I don't wish I could lay in bed and do just that. Unfortunately, it is my daunting to do list that immediately comes to mind when my eyes open due to the bird songs. I suppose I just need to reprogram my brain so I enjoy the bird songs and don't associate them with the list :)

Me said...

You scare me now.

:) Sounds like my insomnia.