Friday, June 13, 2008

It's Genetic

My thoughts and prayers go out this morning to the families coping with loss - from the tornadoes, from the flooding. My window to that part of the country is through the eyes of the media. But, I was born and spent part of my childhood in Ames, Iowa so I am familiar with tornado warnings and watches. So, I know what it is like when the air gets extremely still and quiet and the sky is pitch black in the middle of the day. But flooding is not something I know that well. I know of flash floods and walls of water that rush through in moments and then are gone. Those are from my time in the Southwest.

My heart goes out to the young men who courageously rescued their fellow scouts while waiting for emergency personnel to work their way through the storm damaged roads to rescue. Watching young men talk calmly of the disaster they experienced is almost unfathomable.

Many lives will never be the same.

It is human nature to want to know how to help. I emailed a colleague of mine this morning first thing who has family in Cedar Rapids to see how we could help. The media here is saying to just donate to Red Cross. It is important to remember that is something we should do ALL the time. Even when you hardly have 2 pennies to rub together because they are going into your gas tank or to cover rising daily expenses, it is SO important to remember to give. Just give what you can a few dollars here or there and most importantly - prayers and hope.

My sweet Rachel this morning watched some of the Today show with me. She snuggled up beside me and we watched an interview of a mother and her 9 children (holy cow) that had just been evacuated last night - and only given time to get 5 laundry baskets full of clothes and all her children to safety. They had to leave behind 2 dogs and 3 cats. Matt Lauer shared that he knew someone had illegally re-entered the flooded area with a boat to rescue 2 of their dogs and 1 cat. The woman expressed gratitude for that. As Dave and I were discussing the horror and hell that woman was in, Rachel chimed in. In a very confident voice she said with big eyes, "At least their 2 dogs and 1 cat were safe Mom."

My sweet Rachel. At that moment I knew she has most definitely been blessed with the Pollyanna gene. She has her mamma's "always look on the bright side" kind of perspective that will carry her far in life. No matter what life throws at her, I know she will be able to handle it. Some things are just hard wired from the beginning and I am so blessed to know my little girl has that in her.



Small detail in my personal life - our air conditioner is on the fritz. It is supposed to be the hottest weekend of the year so far for us here in AZ. 109 or hotter in our part of the Valley. We have someone coming to tell us what is wrong with it between 3 and 5 pm today. As you know with repairs, that is no guarantee of a fix in the first service call. Anyway, I have to share that I continue to believe that as long as we have water to drink, and can run through the sprinklers or hop in the pool, we will be fine. We still have our home. We still have our health and each other. We have minor problems compared with those in my prayers today.

Please be kind and gentle with those around you. Things are so hard on so many levels these days... financially, emotionally, and now physically for many many in the United States, and around the world. People who were never facing hardship are now facing indescribable circumstances. Be thankful for the blessings in your life... no matter how big or small. And most importantly, think of how you can give to help make things better. Even if that Pollyanna gene wasn't hard wired into you, see if you can tap into just a little of it to send good things, good thoughts, and a little help to others who really need it today.

6 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

You know you should be writing essays for a living or pastoring. I'm not kidding. You are far more intune with the right thing to do. I love that in you:) Needs to be more voices like yours in any world rather than the din of self-absorbed, narcissistic, down and outers who consatntly lament about their own circumstances.

My Dad tells me that any day is a good day as long as you spend it on this side of the dirt. He has a point.

We have tried to instill in our kids some philanthropy. We did it yesterday in donating a pound of coffee to the troops stationed overseas. We've done it since they were all big enough to put money into the red bucket during the Holidays and say merry christmas to those folks manning those kettles. We have done well. It is something they will do their entire lives. I hope they pass it on to their children also.

It's good to do anything you can to help. Anything.......

Kimala said...

We've also taken food to people - even friends - who needed it when they didn't have any money to shop for groceries. I remember having Zach help me do that.

Thank you D. We have got to be supportive of each other - we are all humans on the same planet. Unfortunately some just forget they are human too. I would refuse to raise kids any other way :)

bigd Flanagan said...

Forgot to add that I love that pic of you and R:)

Me said...

My pretty Rach!

Awww. :)

Parker said...

What happens when Clark Kent and Diana Prince get married? They become BigD and Kimala and produce four angelic children who see life and people the way their parents do.

Sometimes it takes a wee one to remind us of the positive things in the midst of absolute turmoil. Rachel, you go girl!!!!

Kimala said...

ty parker :) if that were only true! thank you for the kind words :)