Sunday, June 1, 2008

What a Journey

A few weeks ago Bigd and I enjoyed an excursion to SL's Journey Island. We hung out in each of the pavillions and soaked up music from decades ago. We connected by sharing where we were and who we were at the time each of the hits had prominent places in our lives. Honestly, Bigd was never a Journey fan so he humored me. He always claimed to like "old" Journey - the members individually who then went on and formed Santana.


Evolution Escape Frontier
We made a second trip then to Journey Island a couple of weeks later because I just HAD to see if and when there were ever going to be live performances there. Could it be that the REAL Journey would ever perform on SL?

We found all sorts of new freebies and a scooter! We found a huge arena where we could watch live concert clips of the newest Journey. We could dance and rock in and Hoo it up and nobody was around.. but the sweeties I had swooned over as a teenager had aged just like me - but well I must say :)(did I mention my first RL concert as a teenager was Journey on the Escape tour?).




I asked Jocelyn Sands if she thought they would ever perform live in SL. Jocelyn is one of the sim creators and fabulous DJ in SL. Since they are on world tour now - there is no telling. But a girl can hope :) Now that would be sLomething to look forward to! I sure hope Jenda Starbrook has those prim panties and prim bras ready to wave proudly in our hands and throw at the stage for that event! But I digress...

Seriously... what fascinates me is how they found the new lead singer... through YouTube! We saw a fantastic interview with the band today on CBS Sunday Morning. The story was touching and inspiring. It was truly a "Don't Stop Believin'" kind of moral. (Sappy I know - but true!). Say what you want about Journey - but they have had 9 multiplatinum albums. The new set comes out this week - new material, re-recordings of old hits, and a concert DVD. Incredible musicians with incredible talent and the ability to be resilient over time.

Please enjoy the story from CBS Sunday Morning A Journey Back. It even includes the links to the YouTube clips that uncovered the amazing new voice of Journey.

And I must come clean. I admit - I had a crush on Jonathon Cain. How can I not? Have you heard Faithfully? Oh my. Have you seen that handsome man play the piano? And... write those beautiful words? *Sigh* How can that not melt your heart - even those of you who are the most hardened SL DJ critics... LOL WINK. I realize though I should leave you with something that is of their new look and their new singer. Enjoy! (Bradley's cue to dance and fold laundry - *smiles and hugs*)

9 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Journey island is a cool venue. That story of the new lead singer was extremely touching. That story alone could propel me into fandom. I always thought there was something rodential about Steve Perry, but I digress.

I feel that the new singer was placed in that band for a purpose. No arguing about that.

I do have respect for Neil Schonn, still playing lead guitar, and the long departed Greg Rollie. Those guys kicked ass with Santana during the firey youth of that band. Neil Schoon was 17 and swapping leads with Carlos. Incredible!

When they come to Phoenix Kimala, will go see them with me? 91225 hun.

Joonie said...

Journey went on to form Santana? hmmm...??? Santana was around in the 60's. I never realized that or knew the connection.

Santana rocks hard. Journey? Well..um..never say never! LOL :)

Loved the post and will definitely check out the sim!

JJ

Parker said...

Not like Journey!!! How can you not like Journey????? My opinion of you must change now BigD, so sorry. Or, you are either really, really old or really, really young. ;-)

Actually I stumbled across Journey Island quite by accident a few weeks back when I was, well what else, working. I scarfed up on some of those freebies including a cute little teddy bear that emits hearts.

What I have found strange as I have told others is their reaction. They have no idea who Journey is at all. Oy vey!

So, BigD and junie go ahead and take the plunge. The water is fine.

bigd Flanagan said...

Ummm..........timeline goes Santana to Journey. Both from the bay area though:)

Crighton Johin said...

Yes....Neal and Greg were in Carlos' original Santana band, and then they went on to form Journey, with Greg singing. Then they decided they wanted a girlie singer and hired Steve Perry. Steve, doing what is natural for a girl, used his feminine wiles to hypnotize the band and took it over, changing it from a kick ass rock band to....ermmm.....well, when Greg left, so did I.

Same thing happened to Chicago and Styx. Girlie men using their feminine wiles to entrance.......you get the idea.

lmao at "rodential"

:-D

Kimala said...

Ok you men... I have to say... if you are going to get the girl... sometimes it doesn't hurt to let your softer side show and admit that ballads are OK... from Journey or Chicago. Styx.. eh.

Chicago is also a fantastic band that has survived the test of time and still really jams despite the comings and goings of that lead singer... what was his name anyway? But... needless to say... nothing like slow dancing to Faithfully or Hard Habit to Break.

You men should heed this. A little romance wouldn't hurt you :) And what was that guy's name? that is going to bug me all day.

BTW... Happy Anniversary RL Crighton & Jenda. Dial up that romance pal! What would Jenda want you to be romancing her with? A little Sarah perhaps :) Cheers!

Crighton Johin said...

I think you are referring to the horror that is Peter Cetera. The mere mention of his name sends a shudder through my body. Actually, the earlier stuff he sang, like Wishing You Were Here, is quite good, but that was before....the coup. Back when their leader.....the guy who killed himself, was still around. Old Chicago kicked buttocks. 25 Or 6 To 4...stuff like that is amazing.

Peter Cetera? He's okay in small doses. Rodential....possibly. D?

Parker said...

Kimala, I am behind you all the way girl. Preach on, sister.

Unfortunately all the women will agree and the men will never hear a word.

bigd Flanagan said...

Right on Crighton! You are not only talking the talk, you are walking the walk! Early versions of both Chicago and Journey were far superior. I know this is shrouded in mystery, but I've heard, that if you get a sex change from male to female, and there is in no way anything wrong with this, they actually play Steve Perry ballads during the entire procedure!! Just saying.

I had a friend talk to Steve Perry at an exclusive Santa Barbara resort when he was touring to support his 1st solo album. The conversation cost him his job, but he went way up on the respecto meter!! That story is for another time:)