Monday, August 18, 2008

Commute Blogging with Alanis Morissette

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

That I would be fine even even if I went bankrupt
That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great if I was no longer queen
That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy

That I would be good even if I lost sanity
That I would be good
Whether with or without you

Some Mondays are harder than others. Today is hard. I needed to post this so I could get it out of my system and start picturing bigger and better things. It is hard to not feel like you measure up. It is hard to feel like you chose a path in the road that was harder than everyone elses... and now there is no turning back.

Half full suggestions anyone?

1 comment:

bigd Flanagan said...

Hmmmmmm Interesting lyrics from the lady. I wonder how many of us wander through this life just treating ourselves horribly? We can't seem to get a handle on it so we just lash out when the pain just gets too real and too sharp. Thoughtless totally and only works for a bit until it starts welling up again and the cycle is repeated.

I wonder what compels us to think that it is not happening for us? Is it the media with their saturation of idealized existence? Is it the family unit itself, where we are so close and intimate with one another yet concurrently so flawed and prone to say things and do things that leave permanent marks?

Has it always been this way in the human condition? Did cro-mags go around thinking: I'm not good enough, I'm never going to progress?

People feeling less than adquate is big business. Alcohol, make up, cosmetic surgery, pharmacueticals are all huge money makers.

I like this songs message. It fights that whole destructive paradigm. Thanks for posting it!