Saturday, August 2, 2008

Silly Blogs... kinda like... onions?

Pounding headache. No... I don't drink very much... hardly ever actually... I just have the symptoms of one who does I guess. This headache in the back of my head, the back of my neck, traveling across my shoulders and up to my forehead won't go away. Swimming in the amount of water I'm trying to consume, carefully remembering to have some coffee so I won't exaggerate it by lack of caffeine, I try ice packs too. That seems to help. Relpac.. 1 of those. Those are scarce though so I try not to take those very often. I am hopeful my headache will burn off as the day progresses like fog does over the ocean side cities in California by mid-day.

When I first thought about what I was going to post today - I was going to do the Parker, Joonie, Blissie patented Popsicle and weather surveys. I love those! I can't wait to try them. But as I scrolled down and down and down, and realized how many blog posts I was behind on (heck, even Crighton had a blogette from yesterday!!!), I realized how behind I was. These silly blogs are just incredible. Second Life led me to blogging. Before that, I always figured blogs were too too personal and I didn't really have anything worth saying anyone would read anyway. Then, I began to see how they are really like an asynchronous conversation. They are a way for getting to know someone better. They are good for a laugh - sometimes right out loud - a good hard laugh. They are good for a cry. Sometimes you people share things that just make my eyes start to leak. Blogs... they are a heck of a lot like onions! Each layer is a bit different... thick, thin... sometimes making you cry when you slice and dice... tasting a bit different if you saute them or just eat them raw on something. They add a flavor to my life now that I do not want to imagine living without.

They are an incredible creative outlet, as is SL. They compliment SL. They have allowed me the privilege to get those I now care about so much, in more depth. They allow us to carry on the conversation after we log off from our adventures in our pixelated landscape. They validate our experiences in-world and remind us how human we all our and how diverse our lifestyles are across the country, and across the world. It makes me love all of you, and SL even more in so many ways.

Silly blogs. There are all kinds of purposes for them. I stumbled across one yesterday that simply offered HTML coding tricks for widgets and such. I stumbled upon another that was only about technical assistance for something or another. Then, I stumble back into all of ours. Our family, our network, our crazy clique... whatever you want to call it... I get lost in your entries. I realize how much I've missed if I don't check in every day. I am sad when blogs go days without new posts because I know things must be hectic or stressful or the creative juices must have dried up just a bit for that person.

So cheers. Toasts to each of you. Toasts to blogettes, to laundry lists of survey results, to interactive polls, to amazing photography, to crazy tales, and deep insightful analysis (bradley :) ). You make my life richer. You connect me to a creative adult part of my brain that just doesn't get that kind of stimulation from dogpiles and cartoons and sibling fights I constantly referee. Happy weekend everyone!

7 comments:

bigd Flanagan said...

Thats very nice....SL has led me back to writing after a long hiatus. Its nice to be writing again. For that I am grateful to SL.

Bradley said...

I thought blogging was the silliest thing people did. Who the hell wanted to write a diary online and who the hell would want to read them. Then something called to me and I started one and started reading others. I'm grateful that I did. I'm amazed how much my world has opened up to new friends just like in SL. As for yours - I'm always disappointed when I don't see a post.

Kimala said...

*hugs both of you tightly*

I am so so so glad D is writing again - it brings out a side of him I don't always see otherwise. And Bradley - your blog adds incredible depth to how well I feel I know you. And, I love that about you :) Thank you guys!

Someday? will you take me to Paris with you guys?

Me said...

I have a suitcase! Me too!

Anonymous said...

I quite like that analogy. That's a cool way to look at blogs, really. Makes me think they're more important than I'd first thought - since they work at so many different levels.

Parker said...

/me grabs a tissue and hands the box to Kimala. **sniff sniff**

I get a tear or two here and there as well. I also sit here and laugh hysterically reading some posts as well as reading the comments attached. I like going back to some just to read and re-read the comments for the sheer entertainment.

I have two blogs - this one for Parker and one on my writing site for the girl at the keyboard who writes. It can be very therapeutic in both cases. thank you for your wonderful world of entertainment and the glimpses into your heart and soul. You are one amazing lady.

Kimala said...

awww ty ;)